What Is General Dentistry?
It is an area of dentistry fundamental to preserving, protecting, and sustaining good oral health. General dentistry specialists in Spring specialize in a range of dental procedures and protocols that fight infections and dental pain. All the treatments in general dentistry cater to various aspects of your oral cavity, that is, the throat, teeth, gums, and jawbone.
What Do General Dentists Do?
General dentists near you are considered primary caregivers in dental health, making them the most common types of dentists. They make up about 80% of all dental experts in dentistry. Their role in dentistry is so paramount that the dental expert you are likely to meet during your first oral appointment is a general dentist. Many of the tasks and responsibilities of a general dentist revolve around preventive dental care. The easiest way to understand a general dentist is to think of a dental expert who has not specialized in any particular area of dentistry but can offer dental care to various needs.
Common Services Offered in General Dentistry
It would take a long list to enlist the number of services that general dental experts offer. From simple and quick treatments to rather complex procedures, general dentists are quite busy in the workplace. When you visit us at The Smile Designer of Spring for general dental care, our general dentists will offer you dental care services in any of the following areas:
- Dental exams – are the most common services in general dentistry. Exams entail dentists checking the state of your oral cavity by conducting some tests. Some of those tests are physical checkups, while others involve digital screening and tests.
- Dental cleanings – are done to boost oral hygiene by removing plaque and tartar from teeth. Cleanings need to be regular so that they can be effective in promoting long-term good dental hygiene. The first dental cleaning session will involve deep cleaning that entails procedures like root planing and scaling. Afterward, standard dental cleaning protocols are observed, once every three to six months.
- Cavity prevention – General dentists offer various services for preventing the formation of tooth cavities for patients. The major ones are fluoride treatment and dental sealants. Fluoride treatment fights dental cavities by boosting the strength of teeth enamels through remineralization. Dental sealants create a barrier on the chewing surfaces of teeth to prevent bacteria from breaching the layers thereof.
- Dental infections – aside from tooth cavities, other dental infections that manifest as mouth sores or gingivitis can be treated in general dentistry.
- Whitening teeth – teeth whitening procedures are pretty common in dentistry, helping to improve any discoloration on teeth. General dentists perform professional teeth whitening dental works done using bleaching agents.
- Dental restorations – if you have a diseased tooth or damaged tooth structure, you may not entirely need to rely on a cosmetic dentist in Spring. A general dentist can help with some dental restorations, using oral appliances like tooth fillings and dental crowns. Still, general dentists work hand in hand with cosmetic dentists to improve the appearance of your teeth after damages. As such, you will need cosmetic dentistry to sort out other aesthetic aspects of your smile, like repairing cracked, chipped, or broken teeth.
- Tooth replacement – one of the ways that general dentists can restore your smile is through restoring your missing teeth. Tooth replacement procedures in general dentistry employ dentures and dental bridges. If you need a more permanent solution to replace your teeth, your dentist may refer you to an oral surgeon near you for dental implants.
- Tooth extractions – while some patients are looking for solutions to replace their lost teeth, others need to undergo tooth removal procedures. General dentists perform tooth extractions for both children and adults. However, when complex extraction procedures come up, your dentist will refer you to an oral surgeon. It is the case for patients with impacted teeth.
General dentists handle the bulk of the work in dentistry because they attend to all aspects of dental care. However, for specialized dental care, you need access to a specialized dental expert. It explains why all general dentists work closely with other dental professionals, including orthodontists, endodontists, periodontists, and oral surgeons.